Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wintry Days and Homemade Bread

That first day of snow is always the best! Honestly, I love snow just as long as I don't have to be out in it...and usually by the time January 3 comes around, I'm cursing it to hell. But for now, life is beautiful. We got Bruno back in February so it snowed some then, but today it was as if he had seen snow for the first time ever! 

He pranced around in it for a while, biffed it at one point, and then started eating it. Pretty entertaining.


I love the peacefulness of falling snow and can admire it from behind a window. 


I've been meaning to bake bread for the longest time and there's nothing better on a day like this. Throw some corn or clam chowder in with the mix and you're golden. I've been telling Cam for two weeks now that I was going to bake bread and I finally got around to it. I'll post the recipe below. 


Homemade Bread

2.5 tsp yeast* 
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water (105-115F)

Mix these ingredients in a small bowl and let sit and "bloom" (rise) for 5 min. If it does rise and bubble, great, if not, discard and start over.

In a standing mixer combine:

3 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 Tbs kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cups of lukewarm water

Mix. Once smooth, add the yeast mixture and mix. Add more flour a cup at a time until the dough forms. Drizzle 1 Tbs of olive oil around the dough as it's forming. 

When the dough is just about formed but still sticky, dump it onto a floured surface and knead the rest of the flour in by hand. It should shape an elastic ball. 

Heat oven to 175F and then TURN OFF. Place dough into a greased bowl making sure to coat all sides of the dough in the PAM and let rise in warm oven for an hour or until doubled in size. 

Take out, punch down, and knead again. Once back to it's elasticky self, divide in half and form into a round loaf or fold and form into a bread pan.

Bake at 375F for 15-20 min. Watch carefully. Once you take it out coat the top with butter. Makes 2 loaves.




2 comments:

Krista said...

Im soo jealous that you guys got some real snow. It snowed here in Lehi for about 2 minutes and then stopped. There is something so grand about watching the snow fall...from inside, I agree. :0 I wish I had your desire to cook and make yummy treats. I mostly just want to eat yummy food, but not make them during the holidays. Some day when we visit Spokane Im coming to your house for dinner.

ShelbySpear said...

That would be awesome, you're welcome any time! Cam wishes I made more treats, when it comes to baking, bread is as far as I go. I cannot make cookies to save my life.

 
Copyright 2009 Cam & Rachelle. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase