Sunday, August 24, 2014

Can I Just Be a Hermit?

This past week was extremely difficult for me in every way imaginable. We made so many trips into Sacred Heart and my patience with doctors and nurses was drastically plummeting.

We had a lot riding on this week. I was 33 weeks this past Monday and my doctor had told me that by the end of the week, if our baby girl hadn't grown at all (which she hasn't been), then they would do an emergency c-section.

I went in for my usual stress tests which always come back normal. Because of the nerve in my back, I can't be on my back long before I get extremely nauseous and a ton of hot flashes. The nurse I keep encountering refuses to let me be on my side when doing the stress tests and then gets frustrated at me when I get sick. Last time she told me that I should eat before I come in and I gave her my best death
stare.


On Wednesday, I started having painful contractions about 5 minutes apart. Cam and I headed for Sacred Heart thinking we might have the babies that day. They hooked me up to the stress test monitor again and monitored the contractions for four hours. They put me on an IV that they never used and gave me meds for the contractions and steroids to help the babies' lungs develop quickly and then sent me home.

The next morning I started cramping and contracting really bad at 7:30, despite the drugs they gave me. It never went away. I had to go in at 1:30pm anyway for my second dose of steroids and I had an appointment with my OB afterwards. I thought that I would just wait to see her, as they wouldn't do anything without consulting her anyway.

When I went in for the steroid shot, my OB happened to be there and they decided that they wanted to do another stress test because of all the cramping and contractions I had been having. Despite the test not showing anything new, the fact that I spent hours doing it the day before, and the results being the same no matter the outcome - I was super frustrated and mentally exhausted.

The nurse was strapping me to the monitor when I started to tear up. She asked me why I was crying and I told her that I was just tired. She then started berating me with super obnoxious questions like "did you want these babies?", "were they planned?" and "were you upset when you found out you were having twins?" I just lost it on the lady and begged her to stop talking. She then followed that up with asking Cam why I was upset as if he did something to cause it.

She then gave me a lecture on how stress and anxiety can cause the babies to stress out and how I needed to find a way to de-stress so that they could be in there as long as possible. She kept saying that it was perfectly normal for me to "lash out" because of my hormones, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about her even if I wasn't pregnant.

I'm torn between telling myself that these people are just doing their job or that they're purposefully trying to torture me and waste my time. My BIGGEST pet peeve is not being listened to, and then having them tell me how I feel or give me patronizing diagnoses based on their lack of listening skills.

On Friday, I went in for my ultra sound and our baby girl had grown almost a whole pound! This was a huge blessing and a huge relief.

Since then, luckily, I haven't had to make any trips into Sacred Heart and I've been able to calm down a bit emotionally. By Friday, I was swearing to Cam that I was ready to become a hermit and I never wanted to see or talk to another person again. I can't say that my outlook has completely changed, but I was able to go to third hour of church today.


My contractions are still painful and every 3-4 minutes, but apparently that's normal with twins. I literally have to pee every half hour and climbing the stairs is my Everest. They want to wait until my water breaks or until I consistently can't breath through my contractions before they deliver the babies. I personally would love to make it to September, but we'll see.

2 comments:

andreamichelle said...

That lady is super obnoxious and out of line. Reminds me of that stupid (sorry, she was stupid) pediatrician I went to for Ethan right after he was born who gave me such a hard time about him losing weight and my milk not coming in yet, that I started crying and then she started berating me with questions about whether I was going to harm my child. I changed pediatricians that day, and my milk came in on the way home from that first visit. Stupid people, seriously you would think they would have enough encounters with miserable pregnant ladies to know that it is completely normal how you were acting, and it wasn't just hormones it was being miserable.

ShelbySpear said...

I remember you telling me about that lady, super obnoxious!

 
Copyright 2009 Cam & Rachelle. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase